As we begin this year I would like you to reflect upon your work to date in response to this posting - see below. I would also like you to open a blogging account for Drama only and invite me to contribute to this. Please send me your details. Thanks! mrs V
What do you think you gained from last year excluding the the performance work at the end? What value did taking part in the productions at the end of the year have for you? What questions do you have about Drama for this year?
Sunday, August 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Drama GCSE last year was 'unusually interesting' for me. I took drama because i thought this was something i'm going to like and i did like it very much. When we started, the first thing i thought was that there were alot of people i did not know. ACtually, i don't think i knew anyone then. You know people's names but knowing them is a different thing. i remember feeling a little introverted and maybe even lost.
Then came the Lost lords. What an experience! I learnt so much more in those 100 hours about myself and the world than i have ever done in my entire life. I think it was knowing that we created something together that was most fulfilling.
And i was able to bring the 'new' me to drama lessons. :)
i suddenly felt more confident and sure of myself and that made me more open to everything else...
Next, when we started the two plays, it was back to action! I recall everyone was excited. This ws our first 'project' aside from the speech and drama 'thing' we did. Everyone got their roles and it was getting fun.
Then i dont really know what happened honestly. I think it was the fact that our play's deadline was on us already and we were still trying to figure out our lines and we might've given up but we still did it in the end!!! so, nice work guys!
Oh yeah... and then there was also the side 'project' i was doing... We wont pay. I had fun in both plays but because i had a bigger role in this play, i might've have put in a bit more here than in the other play. Something like 60% here and 40% in 'small family bizness.' :) And through this, i've certainly gained more xp and i have to mention, the best part is probably to hear what the audience thought of it all. At the end of the day, it was all shown to them but we also did it for ourselves...
So... that was one 'unusually interesting' year and i'd like to thank you all and mrs. vittachi for that! ;)
Finally, this year. I really like the ensemble building work we've been doing right now. I think I need it. I think We need it. And i can't wait to start collaborating and devising our own work!
NIRAB.
P.S. Really wanna hear from you guys as well and btw, my drama blog is simply...
http://dramablog-nirab.blogspot.com/
I think we should all follow this format like:- http://dramablog-(yourname).blogspot.com
This way we can easily find each other's blogs as opposed to me using http://IluvArsenalvm7456warlord.blogspot.com
That'd be hard to remember!
Hey everyone in the Blogspot world.
Drama and acting has always been something I've really loved, so it was kind of always a definite that I'd take it. I'm really glad I did, but I must admit it's a lot harder than what I expected. But who likes easy?
The Lost Lords was absolutely amazing, but what I found more astounding was how the guys who took part in it matured so drastically. That must have been an amazing experience, and I really wish I'd gotten involved. But the guys changed phenomenally, and I think we'd be a completely different group without it.
The Speech & Drama Festival was muchos fun, and I really loved what we ended up with. Also the fact that it was our ideas and our thoughts made it a lot more personal.
'A Small Family Business' was a lot of fun to get involved with and I loved playing Samantha. I got really excited about learning more about her, and it was pretty sad to let go of her when we finished. To be honest, our performance was a bit disappointing, after doing all that work and putting in all that time. Meh, at least we did it. Although it wasn't the large-scale production I'd had in mind at the beginning, it was good to have performed.
Now we're devising, and I think that's going to be good for us, as is the ensemble work. Knowing us, we'll probably pop out some really good ideas.
-Caitlyn.
Last Year, overall I feel I gained a lot from Drama whether it was meeting and connecting with new people or gaining new skills, last year was a success for me. I feel this year I will bring this success and hopefully incorporate it into this years work. Even though last year was a success I feel that things could have still improved.
Doing the Speech and Drama festival was interesting because it was different to what we would have normally done in school and we got to take part in a competition out of school which I enjoyed. However while working on it I found it was hard for us to meet the deadlines. This was the same for the play 'A Small Family Business', as we didnt exactly get to put on a full out performance which I was a bit dissapointed about because I was really looking forward to acting as my character Tina in a bigger performance. However doing the production even though it wasnt completely ready helped me to understand the importance and responsibility of working on a big play like that.
This year im not entirely sure what to expect but I hope that doing the ensemble work and devising our own piece will turn out ok in the end.
Catriona :P
I began last year, similar to a few others, not really knowing the majority of our drama class. Through the school terms, I've been able to interact with them more and get to know them as real people and not just faces I see. I've found that by doing some of those more personal activities that were set for us earlier on in the year, such as massages and 'seeing' people with our hands, the atmosphere between eachother is now more comfortable. I don't even know if I would still call it a class, maybe more of an ensemble or group; something less formal anyway. :)
Excluding the performance work we all did at the end, I believe I gained a considerable amount last year from the physical theatre and workshop activities that we did. Physical theatre is not my forte in drama so I found it really useful to spend a lot of time on that, I found it definitely helped become better in those areas. The Zen Zen Zo type theatre work we did helped greatly with my spacial awareness, bonds within the drama group and thinking outside the box. I also felt that, through the theatre work, I was able to try things and push boundaries I may not have otherwise in different situations. For example, when using this technique with the Lady Macbeth work we did, I circled a cauldron/chair and used my hands to go over every surface. Though I don't know if you all felt the same way, after every lesson I did feel a massive adrenaline rush. :D
Taking part in the production of ASFB at the end, drawn out though I felt it was at times, helped to make use of and wrap up all that we had learned previously in the year. We were able to use methods from physical theatre on our workshops. It really helped me improve my improvisation and I was able to get back notes on areas which still needed work, embracing failure and learning from it. :P
I'd like to add that the Speech and Drama Festival was a totally new experience for me, and while we didn't win by as much as I thought we would, it was a real eye-opener as it really brought home different aspects of theatre work. For one, we needed to learn to take into account that the design of a stage can actually influence one's performance! :D
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed building Anita up into a more complex being and I had fun showing her off! ;P
- Isla P 11E :)
drama last year was a completely different experience for me compared to drama through out years 7 to 9. i think this was mainly due to the huge influence from the Zen Zen Zo theatre group.
the Zen Zen Zo work shops we took part in really piqued my interest in the subject further. the Lost Lords performance was by far the most interesting of the few that i watched last year.
i also really appreciated the fact that as a drama student, i was told about interesting shows that were being put on in hong kong and the fact that we have such great opportunities to be able to get tickets for them.
my favourite thing about drama last year was definitely the huge amount of time we spent on workshops. it was then that i could truly feel a bond between each and every member of the class and i think that is one of the pro's of drama. you have to come together as a company or the show fails. it takes dedication and effort to put something together and in our own way, i think we each posses one or both of those qualities.
im really enjoying the ensemble work that we have started on, especially the exercise where me and caitlyn started crying! not trying to be mean but this just proved to me how powerful the arts are to people.
i cant wait to see where this year will take us as a company :)
Emi xx
My response is on my blog: http://myronlam.blogspot.com/
Myron Lam
Yeh last year drama was very, fulfilling. I don't know if thats the right word. But I feel that I learnt alot and really appreciated drama for what it was. I am happy with my drama group they are great and I know that this year will be even better because we all have the experience and have gained new perspective. Last was easier I am sure but this year I know that we will use the knowledge we've gained and use it to our advantage.
I think that last year I knew a few people in the class, but now I feel like we all know each other so much better and we know how each other works. So we can work to make everything fit and personalities converse better with each other.
Post a Comment